Sunday, December 29, 2013

SNOW REPORT!


Hatcher Pass, sunrise over Chugach Peaks! Strange winter lighting


 November and December have been jam packed. At work I took on a bit of different role. I helped coordinate a fundraiser, calmed down angry Trailside parents, and kept TDC a float, while THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND; Tom (the director) was on leave. It was a great learning experience and I liked the demands and pressure! Luckily he is back in action, but its been a wild ride the past couple months!

 In my personal life I have found some 'zen' with the darkness. I love the early winter mornings for runs and yoga, and in the evenings I usually have events and meetings. NETWORKING!! WHOOHOO! Staying busy and waking up early is also a great a excuse to go to bed at 9:30! The weekends have been devoted to fun times, I got in a couple more hikes in November and once the snow came I have been working on my ski turns! It has been, well... something!

The Turns of the Past

I grew up skiing in the hills of West Michigan.Classic Midwest skiing. My first time on skis I was 7 or 8, my dad and mom hauled my little brother and me up tow rope to the top of the bunny hill. While my dad was helping my brother, I took off down the hill with full speeed. Just like I do most things, I went for it, and dove head first! No snow plowing, no stopping, just a beeline for the bottom! I ended in heap of skis and poles right before the lodge! It was AWESOME. My mom rushed down after me and luckily and nobody ended up hurt. Then Dad decided that I probably could use some lessons in snowplowing and turning! I loved skiing right away, but unfortunately once I started high school my family and I become occupied with other things. Good and bad I suppose.

 Fast forward to college.... As a freshman slacker I took a beginner ski class to get a refresher on skiing skills. Great choice for sure, I spent afternoons at an old school resort that still had T-Bars and no lifts but it sure had amazing views of Lake Superior. Since then I haven't made much of an effort to ski, it seemed expensive and little intimidating, plus I didnt have great access to it.
 Flash forward a couple more years to now! Convinced by my good adventuring pals I invested in an alpine touring setup this fall. BEST IDEA EVER.

Backcountry! Say what!?

In alpine touring the goal is to get access to places that you cant ski at a resort. It's a wonderful concept: no lift lines, no lift ticket prices, no people, just mountains and snow! I figured it would be an easy transition. NOPE. Reminiscent of my first time on the skis, I did the same thing little 7 year old Andrea did. My friends and I toured up a small ridge in Hatcher Pass, AK, a fantastic place for backcountry skiing. Touring involves putting a sticky nylon sheet on the bottom of your ski called a skin which allows you to go uphill on your skis. Your boots are more flexible then standard ski boots and have a component that allows you to be in walk mode to lift up your heal. When you get to the top, you rip off your skins and head down! When we got to the top of the hill I was so excited to head down, I didnt really think it through. I momentarily forgot how to to ski, and just flew down the hill. I didnt make it far before I ended up in pile! With adrenaline high I made it down to my friend Adam who was waiting and laughing. I never was so freaked out in the mountains. A totally new concept for me, I usually feel my best in the backcountry. I was also experiencing an INTENSE pain in my legs, something I have never had before. Every time I went to make a turn I yelped in pain, it radiated up my IT band, (the side of my quad and calf, felt like someone was pulling out my muscle with pliers. I thought I was going to die right there. Scary stuff. It felt like forever but I finally made it down to the car, crashing and yelping the whole way down. After trouble shooting my problem with many potential solutions, my friend Aimee and I went out the next day and did a mellow run, and it was better. Not great, but better. I thought skiing deep powder was going to be easy...

Skining up!! Hardwork!


In Anchorage there is a cute little ski hill called Hilltop, it reminds of Bittersweet back home or Mt. Ashwabay from college. There are a couple lifts, no lines, and cheap night skiing. I think it has become my new go-to place. I have gone there a couple times to get some practice in and sure did feel good! Probably looked good too, unlike my backcountry turns... Carving an edge in the hardpack is great with my new skis, and it has helped my confidence a lot. I DO remember how to ski! It has been reassuring!

Getting ready for the down-hill!
Since my first time out in the backcountry, I have gone a few more times. Im not giving up! Solstice weekend a big group of folks and I stayed at the Manitoba Cabin in Summit Pass. Super cushy place in the magical Chugach National Forest, with great access to backcountry tours. It's different skiing, you're in the trees if you stay low, and it was pretty scary. But once again it felt better, I fell a lot, the snow was wet and heavy but I did okay, the pain was there but not as intense. I still was not quite convinced about the fun of touring yet. BUT Im not one to give up easily!!

WHOOHOO! Girl power! Thanks for the photo Aimee!
I went out yesterday with a group of some of my favorite people ever and we did a mellow run in Hatcher Pass, it was the most fun Ive had in powder yet. It's starting to come together! It was a perfect amount of touring for me, with a really fun run. Sure I fell a couple times, but  my powder turns were way better, and I actually had real fun! I think its going to be okay! It's a new skill, and my mental game has been off. Ive been fearful and hesitant after my first time. Part of skiing better in the powder for me is getting over my fears. Im becoming more confident each time! It is only December after all, the ski season is long in AK, with the best part yet to come!

I think it's going to be a great winter!




No comments:

Post a Comment